Charles wrote:
I think you are going overboard on those numbers.

Fair enough on all counts.

http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/i5/march07/features/12259p1.aspx

I read that the other day. The point I've been trying to make in this thread can be restated by this quote 'Communicate rational and expected benefits. Now that you have persuaded your management or team to make the switch, people are more likely to take action if they understand why and how it will benefit them. If they become intrinsically motivated, the chances of commitment to the project grow.' Page 4.

So your costs:
Instructor: $5,000
1 day for training: (7*8*125) $7,000
1st week at 80%: (40*7*125*.20) $7,000
2nd week at 90%: (40*7*125*.10) $3,500
---------
$22,500
So what's the ROI?

Figure just a 10% productivity improvement:
22,500 / (40*7*125*.10) = 6.5 weeks. (8.5 including the first 2)

WDSCi looks like a good idea to me!

Me too. I use it almost exclusively. Why doesn't everybody? In my limited experience, I've never had the pleasure of working in a place that enjoyed top-down management support for developer tooling (per the article, p4). I have had weekly (and informal) show-and-tell meetings to show off WDSC (also on page 4.) It doesn't catch on by itself and it doesn't catch on with a gentle nudge. You can lead a horse to water...
--buck