From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Mark Phippard
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 12:03 PM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: RE: [WDSCI-L] Removing a plug-in

WDSC is definitely commercially supported.  If you found a problem that
ultimately was a bug in Eclipse, I am sure that IBM would work to ensure
that the bug was reported and fixed in Eclipse and that fix would make its
way back into WDSC as soon as possible.  Just as an example, WDSC 5.1.2
comes with Eclipse 2.1.3 (as opposed to 2.1.0).  The vast majority of the
fixes between 2.1.0 and 2.1.3 were contributed by IBM based on bugs the
users of the IBM tools discovered.

I think the gray area is when you start moving beyond true bugs into
things you just would like to work differently or better.  SEU is
commercially supported but if you call IBM and say that SEU should have a
function key that pops up a list of all variables used in the source and
allows you to click on one to go to that line of code they are not going
to do much about it for you.  Requests that are essentially enhancements
to Eclipse would be similar.  However, if anything WDSC should be a better
product because there are more people using and enhancing that Eclipse
foundation.

Mark

wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 10/05/2004 12:42:18 PM:

> I think Toolbox may be a little different. My understanding of Toolbox
(and
> someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that IBM ships a version of Toolbox
in
> the iSeries IFS and supports that version like other IBM products.  This
> makes Toolbox different than Eclipse.
>
> >The community behind the open-source product supports it.  This in
> >itself has good and bad points.  A 'normal' product has the same type
of
> support
> >issues.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something. If I have a problem with WebSphere
Application
> Server not deploying a Web Module properly (has never happened...just
> fictional example), I feel confident I can call IBM and get support, and
> they will work on the problem immediately and come up with a solution.
When
> I actually had this problem with my Tomcat server (Tomcat 5 needed to
have
> the tools.jar file from my sdk copied into its common\lib directory), I
had
> to spend hours sifting through Web pages and email lists to find what I
> hoped was a working solution. If I hadn't gotten lucky and stumbled
across a
> solution, well, then what? This seems like a major difference between a
> licensed product with paid support and an open source product with
> 'community' support.
>
> Please feel free to enlighten me. :-)
> Kelly

WDSC