wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 10/05/2004 11:25:19 AM:

> IBM's choice to put WDSCi on top of an open source product introduces
the
> same question that keep companies from going with other open-source
> products: who's going to support it? As long as IBM feels free to not
work
> on Eclipse problems, and Eclipse has no obligation to WDSCi users, then
> there's a crack in the support infrastructure. Uninstalling plug-ins is
not
> a mission critical issue. I'm just saying it reflects a less than
perfect
> support situation.

Actually the "chain" would look like this:

WDSC (built on top of:)
   WSAD/WSSD (built on top of:)
       WebSphere Studio Workbench, now IBM Software Development Platform,
(built on top of:)
            Eclipse

If the effected area isn't specifically part of WDSC, then WDSC does not
get the "fix" until WSAD/WSSD get it and release it, which may not be
until the layers below it get it and release it.  Also, as you move down
the chain, the pool of users that use each product grows much larger.  I
only point that out because in theory there would be a lot more WSAD or
Eclipse users affected by a problem, than WDSC users.  Meaning there ought
to be sufficient incentive to fix the problems at those levels where the
resources are also far greater.

I would simply prefer to see the WDSC team focusing on making a great
iSeries development tool.  If that means, dipping down and fixing
something in Eclipse (like a split-view editor!) then perhaps they should
do that.  Otherwise, I think they should just be pressuring the layers
below them to implement the change and focus on iSeries stuff.  Open
Source is not an excuse, but I do not think anyone is making one.  Part of
using open source is doing it the "right way".  We are better off in the
long run if WDSC plays by the rules and doesn't try to implement its own
custom versions just because they can.  Also, we should not overlook the
plethora of tools and capabilities in the non-iSeries specific areas we
are getting for free because of the open source foundation.  We would
never have seen tools of this caliber in the iSeries world without that
foundation.

Finally, in this case Eclipse does have a method for removing a plugin. In
Eclipse 3.0 the UI for doing this has been greatly simplified.  However
they have decided for philosophical reasons that they will only go so far
as to disable a plugin, not physically remove it.

Mark

Scanned for SoftLanding Systems, Inc. by IBM Email Security Management Services