If these companies have this mentality then they really don't understand open-source. The community behind the open-source product supports it. This in itself has good and bad points. A 'normal' product has the same type of support issues.

The Java Toolbox for iSeries is also based on an open-source project(JTOpen). More direct basis than WDSC to eclipse though. And from what I have heard and seen, it is working out great.

As for WDSC, as far as I know IBM 'picks' a version of Eclipse and builds the stuff on top of it. I would also think that if you had a problem with WDSC that related back to something in Eclipse, they would fix it.

-- Scott J

Kelly Cookson wrote:

IBM's choice to put WDSCi on top of an open source product introduces the
same question that keep companies from going with other open-source
products: who's going to support it? As long as IBM feels free to not work
on Eclipse problems, and Eclipse has no obligation to WDSCi users, then
there's a crack in the support infrastructure. Uninstalling plug-ins is not
a mission critical issue. I'm just saying it reflects a less than perfect
support situation.

Kelly