You are correct, Scott.  I am confused. And still am confused.

My goal is to provide a very simple web service.  The example I am learning with is a DB2 file of 10 to 20 records, each with a state and a city field.  A green screen program maintains the file.  The additional, new piece that I am trying to make work is an Intranet web service that offers that data, in a JSON format, to anyone who asks for it.

My presumption was that there would be an SQLRPGLE program, that when asked, would read the DB2 file and provide a .json data stream that a javascript file could GET and process as the web folks chose, for their needs.

This DB2-to-web page task already works if I write a .json file to the IFS and deal with it as an IFS HTTP website.  So, I know the general process works.  The hang-up for me is the web service piece.

I shall read the slide show presentation one more time.

Your initial premise really is correct; I am confused.  By the way, in case I forget, I really appreciate all the stuff you have offered and all that I have learned from you.  Thank you Scott.