Hi Booth, maybe I don't understand completely the problem so, if I
misunderstood your request, I apologize in advance.

If the goal is having an RPG program published as a REST web service the
easiest way is IWS. IWS provides SOAP and/or REST with swagger. Also there
is a nice future to ease the fact that RPG has fixed rows (Array), in fact
if you define a program like:

Dcl-ds Input qualified template inz;
State char(2);
End-ds;
Dcl-Ds Output qualified template inz;
CityNames_LENGTH int(10);
CityNames char(50) dim(999);
End-ds;

Dcl-pi *n;
Request likeds(input);
Response likeds(Output)
End-pi;

and publish with IWS. Your program will receive a State e will return
CityNames_LENGTH with the city's number.

That's it.

The other side of the medal (consuming the web services in a web env) can
be much much more interesting.

HTH

--
Marco Facchinetti