Not getting at Nathan - just happens to be his note that triggered this response - but it is time we all got real about paying for tooling on the platform. Years ago IBM made a huge amount of money on the hardware by basically overcharging for memory, disk, etc. We all bitched like crazy and got what we asked for - commodity priced hardware (for the most part).

What is always forgotten though is that the hardware profits used to subsidize (literally) the software costs. They can't do that now because there is so little profit on the hardware, So we have to expect to pay for more for the software. It doesn't cost IBM any less to develop a tool such as RDi than it does MS to produce a tool such as Studio - but they will never sell a tiny fraction of the quantity so the price is inevitably higher. I don't like that any more than anyone else - but at a cost of about $400 a year for RDi I more than get my money's worth.

I'd rather IBM spend its limited $ on improvements to tools that move us forward - not SEU.

On 2013-06-19, at 11:18 AM, Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anybody know of any efforts to get checking turned back on in V7R1?

In a recent Linkedin discussion Bob Cancilla, a former IBM product manager for Rational Tools personally took credit for the decision to freeze SEU. Anyone who knows Bob knows that his modus operandi is NOT customer centric, nor IBM i centric. He stubbornly and tenaciously manipulates for his personal interests.

I actually don't know how much credit might go to Bob for the decision, but I personally would like to see the freeze lifted.

-Nathan.