Is this a typo?  Because RPGIV already allows blank lines in the source
and compiler parameters in the H spec.  If you meant enhance RPGIII to do
so, I sure don't want any enhancements to that dead horse.

The ONE thing that will speed up the adoption of RPGIV is adoption by the
software vendors.  Second is the execution of managers that have written
their own utilities to analyze code that requires the stringent
requirements of RPGIII.

Will charging extra for RPGIII and RPGII cause these two hurdles to be
overcome?
Will it upset more people than it pleases?

Frankly software vendors are doing their customers a huge disservice by
continuing to support obsolete versions of the OS.  Until the "bread and
butter" applications require a upgrade to the OS, (Example: can't print
W2's this year because the W2 upgrade only runs on versions of OS
currently supported by IBM and you are running V4R5), then many computers
languish behind.  People think they can get by without paying for software
subscription and then get stuck with a huge bill when they finally decide
to move.  Then newer applications are moved to other platforms and the
potential for the iSeries to shine falls behind.  In the long term, these
vendors are shooting themselves in the foot.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

"Bob Cozzi" <cozzi@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/25/2004 03:22 PM
Please respond to

<RPGIV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'"
<rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Fax to

Subject
RPGIII to get a facelift?

I spent one day at COMMON last week and talked with several of the IBM
Canada RPG IV developers.  One of the questions that was asked was if IBM
could/should start charging for the RPGII and RPGIII compilers (some
people
call RPGIII, "RPG400").

Anyway, I suggested that IBM should enhance RPG IV with two new features:

1) Allow blank lines in the source code
2) Support the compiler parameters in the H spec, and translate those
parms
when the CVTRPGSRC command is used.

Without leading your responses: I'm wondering if you feel charging for
RPGIII would help/encourage you to move to RPGIV more aggressively?

-Bob