> From: Scott Klement
>
> Is it stupid that "long" and "int" are the same thing, but "long long"
is
> different?  Yes.  Very much so.  But, it's the way that C has evolved.
Be
> glad you're an RPG programmer :)

Thanks, Scott.  I count my lucky stars every day <grin>.

> The best source is Barbara Morris' write-up, here:
> http://www.opensource400.org/callc.html

Damn.  I should have guessed that Barbara would have concise,
well-written information out there.  I could have just Google'd on
Barbara Morris Convert Prototypes.

> I should mention that I've never used either of the above resources,
as
> I'm fluent in both languages.  I've only looked at them because I get
this
> question fairly regularly. ;)

I'm relatively fluent myself in most programming languages, but in C and
its derivatives different compilers have different size definitions, and
I was unfamiliar with the word sizes on the AS/... iSer... er, i5.  The
big problem for me was that IBM APIs tend to use both "int" and "long
int" all over the place, and so I was confused (especially late at
night).

> That's really foolish, considering that C programmers are such a
> gross minority on the iSeries.  But, what do I know?  IBM is infinite
in
> it's wisdom.

Say it with me, Scott... "i5", "i5", "i5".  <grin>

Joe