From: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Date: 03/30/04 21:30:16
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: IF Coding question

Bob,

At 3/30/04 09:28 PM, you wrote:
>I don't agree that negative conditional evaluations are "more
>straightforward" than positive logic that is prefixed with NOT.
>It is a known fact that the mind can interpret positive logic much quicker
>than negative.

  In both cases we are looking at a negative condition.  My criteria is to
try to read it out loud.  My way reads like you would state it in English:

  If  TOT1a does not equal TOT2a or TOT1b does not equal TOT2bc...

  Putting the NOT, in this case, before the test is unnecessarily awkward,
IMHO.

>   But, hey, we're not out to save the world with RPG IV, now are we. :)

  One line of code at a time...  :-)

  -mark