Peter Colpaert wrote:

Hi group,

I'm trying to make a general purpose utility which will copy any PF into an
XLS file in the IFS (using some java class behind the screens).  When it's
finished, I will probably make it available to the public on my new website
(yet to be developed).

In order to determine the field types (alpha or numeric) for the XLS, I see
three possibilities:

* Using the QUSLFLD API to a user space, and loop through that for every
record
* Doing a DSPFFD into an outfile in QTEMP and loop through that for every
record
* Using the QUSLFLD API, read it once, write the fieldname and data type to
a workfile in QTEMP, and loop through that for every record

Considering that the files can be rather large (I think I will make the
program automatically create a new sheet when the row counter reaches 65000
or whatever the limit in Excel is), performance may be an issue.

Can anybody tell me which would be the fastest of the 3?

I know I could code the 3 versions and run performance tests, but I'd hate
to hear someone say later on: 'Oh, but I could have told you in advance
that xxx would be much faster.'

Thanks in advance.

Maybe I'm missing something fundamental, but doesn't the CPYTOIMPF write out in CSV format, and doesn't Excel read CSV files?

Cheers! Hans