Oh, lets not forget the *STATUS field in the file feedback that will
gives you 01122/01123 for rollup/down keys pressed.

Hmmm, isn't roll up the same as page down?  I can't remember any more.

Now -that's- obscure! <g>  And that was the only way (that I knew of) on
the S/34/36.

But, like a lot of techniques, like choosing K? over AID byte, is that
once a programmer gets something set up to work consistently they will
stick with it unless there is a compelling reason to change.  (By
compelling, I mean something better than "My code can bet up your
code.")

IMHO, *INK? is just as valid a construct as any other method.  At least
you can COUNT on *INKC being F3.  Don't know if you can count on that
degree of consistency in any other method.

BTW, we stopped using the K? indicators when we left RPGII and have
endured debates like this one ever since. <g>