>>> rbaird@esourceconsulting.com 03/19/02 01:14pm >>>

>> curious back at you:  how do you handle screen display attributes (ri,
pr) and functions (sflctl, sflctldsp, etc)?

Here is how it is done in my shop

 ** Give names to indicators
d IndicatorP      s               *   inz(%Addr(*in))
d Indicators      ds                  based(IndicatorP)
d pc#AllFld               1     20
d  pc#CustNb              1      1
d  pc#CustName            2      2
d  pc#PhoneNum            3      3
d  pc#City                4      4
d ri#AllFld              21     40
d  ri#CustName           21     21
d  ri#CustNb             22     22
d  ri#PhoneNum           23     23
d  ri#City               24     24
d #sfldsp                42     42
d #sflclr                43     43
d #sflend                44     44
d #sflnxtchg             45     45
d pc@reset        s             20    inz(*all'0')
d ri@reset        s             20    inz(*all'0')

In our standard, the # (I know, it ports badly in europe) indicate a field used
in a DSPF or PRTF. The caracter before the # represent the attribute
(PC=Position Cursor, RI=Reverse Image ...) in fact we use the actual code that
we find in the DSPF (ND, BL UL ...).

So if I want to set the field #Street in reverse, I do:

eval    ri#Street = *on

and if I want to reset the attributes for all the fields I do:

eval ri#AllFld = ri@reset  (In our standard, @ means a variable defined in the
D spec of the program)

As you see, we allow for 20 fields in one screen. We rarely have more than that
on a single screen.

For other keywords (like sfldsp ...) we rename the indicator using the actual
keyword prefixed by #.

This is far from perfect but it has given good result for us.

Denis Robitaille
Directeur services techniques
Cascades Inc
819 363 5187