Bob,

---first message---
>Using *INKx you are either a traditionalist or just too suborn to
>change. In any event if you're using *INKx you're probable using IFEQ,
>Fetch Overflow and Match Records. All of which were good in their day,
>but are now becoming a lost "art".
>And I for one do not miss any of it!

>Bob Cozzi

no, I'm a hire gun consultant who has to morph his standards to conform to
whoever I'm working for this year.  And one who's seen so many wrong headed
and really ugly standards in the name of 'readablility' or 'lowest common
denominator' or 'modernization' or 'I read this slick technique in this
months news/400' or whatever.  I use the *ink keys because I know that it
will be instantly recognized for exactly what it is by the vast majority of
people who will follow me.

---second message-----
>Let's face it, most shop standards are put in place in order for the
>manager or the current staff to be able to read someone else's code. I
>mean, they establish and stand and think somehow everyone else is going
>to stick to it so that they can read the other guy's code.
>The only shop standards that really matter to "others" is consistency
>and if they've moved to RPGIV, to use upper/lower case symbols.

>Bob Cozzi

shouldn't you add another standard - that 'good' programmers NEVER use
*inkx.

---third message----
>I wasn't suggesting that the Attention Identification Byte was being
>used all along. From my view, the response indicators have been used the
>most, probably 90 percent or maybe even 99 percent of the code use
>things like CF05(05).

I could go along with maybe 60-70% of that.  You aren't seeing the same
code as I am.  but then, I don't charge your hourly rate ;P

>I have seen a lot of System/34 code that was simply recompiled on the
>System/38 and then eventually on the AS/400 and now on the iSeries,
>which had been called "native code" by the vendors. But it really was
>just recompiled RPGII.

>Bob Cozzi

I've seen worse.  and I've also seen a lot of new code that uses *inkx

Just out of curiousity Bob, when was the last time you did some general
maintenance programming for a client.  You know, go in fix a few problems,
write a few programs, etc, and had to conform to someone elses 'company
standards'.

Rick