  • Subject: Re: Date formatting
  • From: bmorris@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:51:51 -0500

>Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 09:11:40 -0500
>From: John Hall <jhall@hillmgt.com>
>
>We are in the final stages of testing some converted programs
>RPG/II -> RPGLE
>
>We would like to use CMPPFM on the spool files and have setup
>programs to cpysplf & all that
>
>The problem we are having is that the old system outputs a date a
>little differently than the new system.
>old :  7/31/99
>new : 07/31/99
>of course CMPPFM sees this as a changed record.

John, there's no way to do "date" output and suppress leading
zeros.  I can think of lots of ways to change your RPG IV programs
to get the output you want, but rather than change your RPG IV
programs, it might be easier to write a utility that would process
the CMPPFM output and discard any differences that had this pattern.

Here's a sketch of a method to do this:

  for each pair of lines that are different
  |   -  scan the second line for '/' (into an array)
  |   -  initialize i to 1
  |   -  go through the slash-array looking at elements i and i + 1
  |      while they are both non-zero
  |      |    if  (the pair of slashes are 3 apart)
  |      |    AND (the character 2 before the first one is '0')
  |      |    AND (the other relevant characters before/between/after
  |      |        the slashes are numeric)
  |      |    | - change the character 2 before the first one to '1'
  |      |    | - add 1 to i
  |      |    endif
  |      |    add 1 to i
  |      endwhile
  |   - if the lines are now the same, discard this difference
  endfor

Barbara Morris