  • Subject: RE: RPG IV and CF-spec "keep it IBM"
  • From: boldt@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 10:41:08 -0400

Buck wrote:
>For those reading this who are waffling about using RPG IV, who think that
>it's too hard to "learn a new language", who find the new terminology weird
>and disconcerting, I have one very convincing argument:  I write in RPG IV
>and love it.  I started in 1978 in RPG II on the System/3.  I am fluent in
>matching record, stacker select, sort specs and 80-80 lists. I learnt to
>program by reading the S/3 RPG II reference manuals and looking at compiler
>listings in the filing cabinet.  I am a high school graduate (dropped out of
>college before my first semester finished.)  I am a musician by temperament
>(classically trained viola.)  I had a miserable score on my math SAT and a
>great one on my English.  I have absolutely no formal computer training
>whatsoever.  By all respectable measurements, I should probably not be a
>programmer at all.  If *I* can do it, literally anyone can.  Anyone.  Try
>it.  You'll like it!

Fascinating comments!  I've always wondered why people associate
computer programming with mathematics.  When I was in school 20
years ago, the required courses for my BSc in CompSci included
4 courses in Mathematics, which was actually 1 course away from a
minor in Math.  But do I ever use that knowledge of calculus,
algebra, diff. equations, and statistics?  Heck, I don't even
remember any of that stuff anymore!  I couldn't even tell you what
a differential equation is anymore without looking it up!

On the other hand, many employers actually ask about musical
experience when hiring programmers.  There does seem to be a good
relationship between musical ability and programming skill.  I'd
also agree with your implication that perhaps good skill in
English might also correspond with success in programming.  After
all, programming is as much an art form as anything else.  A good
sense of aesthetics is essential in computer programming, in my
opinion.

(Actually, there is some interesting mathematics involved with
computing, such as the Halting Problem and NP-Completeness.  But
it's at such a high level, it generally has little practical
importance.)

Cheers!  Hans

Hans Boldt, ILE RPG Development, IBM Toronto Lab, boldt@ca.ibm.com