On 19 November 2017 at 13:24, Richard Schoen
<Richard.Schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm not 100% clear on your position

It's easy for you personally to deploy a .NET web service.
It's impossible for me personally.
It seems unlikely that I alone on earth am in this position.
I'm glad .NET is available to you.
I don't hate Microsoft, and neither does my organisation.
We do interoperate; just not that quickly.

I'll be happy when the full GNU gcc toolchain is available to us all.

This being the open source on IBM i list...
If I were given OPs task, I'd try the C++ library called Crypto++
Library 5.6.5 https://www.cryptopp.com/
Schneier has several Rijndale implementations on his 'Applied
Cryptography' web page.
https://www.schneier.com/books/applied_cryptography/source.html
Rijndael is part of AES, which is described in detail in FIPS 197
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips197/fips-197.pdf
RFC2898 is an older RFC, but it checks out
https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2898.txt :-)
--buck