[First, the Open Source issue]: It is very much appropriate for this forum and to the livelihood of programmers, which I suspect is why Mr. Gibbs has not stopped it.

[Second, this forum and free speech]: This being a forum organized and set up by him, and being his sandbox, as I have said before, makes it at the same time an exercise of his own right of free speech if he views something as beyond the limits of either the topic, or the limits of civil discussion, according the clearly stated rules for it. David has shown objectivity in his enforcement, which makes it all the more seem like the open air. It's his calll and he's generally more than fair anyway. So here's to David.

[Third, on free speech]. I obviously agreed that free speech is not even enforced in practice. But as a theory and as an ideal it has obviously overturned tyrranies all over the world many times, and to dismiss it as irrelevant to practical matters is to lose all perspective. It's bad enough in this day when companies would still buy a database product from a company whose CEO loudly proclaims that privacy is dead, it's over, get over it, and get used to being without it, and he wants to provide the database (free to the government) to watch everybody!

[Fourth, loss leader etc.] Third, the point about "loss leader" was only one example of a long list to answer the implication that it "robs" anyone.

[Fifth] So if we agree on how it works, and it's "best for some things and not for others", and that nobody is robbing anyone, then I do not see where there is any any argument, except to say "much ado about nothing", a euphemism for another dictionary word mentioned in a previous post and shown to be appropriate by the dictionary definition also posted.

- Alan