Everybody DOES get free speech. Anyone and everyone has the freedom to let
the words come from their mouths. But there can be consequences for doing
that. That still does not mean they cannot choose to utter them...

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-nontech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-nontech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of jt
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 1:13 PM
To: Non-Technical Discussion about the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: Economics of non-free "Open Source"

Your joking, of course.  Either that, or you don't understand, Alan, one or
the other:

Everybody does not get free speech, in equal measure.  For one example,
David Gibbs has the authority, and exercises it, as to who can say what to
these forums, and what forum opinions are to be expressed in.  Nobody is
free to post whatever they want to, wherever they want to.  (Although some
people take advantage, and post Non-Tech issues (like this very topic) to
the Tech List, and they get away with it.)

So, like I pointed out and have given a simple example, "freedom" of speech
is a nice theory, but is not practiced as a practical matter.  For another
example, it is illegal to speak and incite a riot.  Simple example, that
shows that some people have some severe delusions about the area of
"freedom", and freedom of speech.

Btw, Alan...  And nobody can force you to charge for something you want to
give away, either.  Unless you are doing something illegal, and even then...
I've given plenty.  Nobody FORCED me to, and nobody FORCED me not to either.
How could they??

Apparently you don't understand the issues as well as you think, Alan.  I
say "apparently", but intend to imply "obviously".

And you obviously haven't understood what I've posted, as I ALREADY posted
the views that "Open" Source is nothing more than "a loss leader" and that
it's best for some things and not others.  So I don't need any help from you
in how to try to think of these issues, so far as what you've posted here
anyway.  Perhaps next time tho, but not in this particular post.