Michael,

when you say you've been a consultant most of your carreer, do you mean as
an independent, a independent sub or employee of an oursourcing firm?
There's a subtle distinction - I've been all three (as well as a custom
software shop employee, which is a little different than an outsourcing
body shop)

I've been SO on the fence over this whole h1b/offshore thing.  I have
visceral feelings both ways.  I've always been a firm free-trader.  It's in
my bones.  I've always felt that companys have every right to shop thier
business around to whomever is going to give them the best value for thier
dollar.  On the other hand, I see very disturbing trends that could very
well kill my bottom line.  Not to mention the fact that it's a reversal of
the promise made to all of the laid-off workers of the past several decades
- 'retrain in computers!  it's the future!'   What do we tell them to do
now that they're being priced out of thier jobs again?

I understand the distinctions you're trying to make.  And I agree, that if
you want specific and highly developed skill sets, then you bring in
consultants - but again, this is typically for short term projects.

I contend that a large portion of the consultants who currently fill the
body shops here in the states are no better qualified than a lot of the
in-house type folks (currently employed or not).  Amorphous goals are nice,
but they don't directly effect profits and stock prices.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that permenant contracting at the
rates we in the US have been used to getting doesn't offer the value it
once might have.

We do have to change.  We have to buckle down and expand our skill set, and
we have to accept that we won't get to charge the rates we used to.  Unless
the body shops lower thier margins, the consultants therein start going
independent or in-house - and we all start delivering more value for our
services - we're going to see a lot more offshoring.

And it'll be as much our fault as it is the 'greedy executives'.

Rick