david,

A lot of GREAT points on this thread...!  Hate to highlight just one or
two...

But IMV, Chris pointed out how to turn this into a win-win:  Explain the
situation to xyz corp.

Your friend could tell them he has ideas that are not related to his current
work, that he'd like to pursue on his own equipment, in his "off" hours.

The sticking point may be that xyz doesn't agree to such a thing as "off"
hours.  They want all your creativity to go into their projects, because
that's what they're paying for, at least in their mind (especially if
salaried, and big $).

So your friend can offer them right of first refusal.  If he's just doing
this "extracurricular" work for fun, or just for the learning experience,
then the employer will probably benefit from the work.  (And rather than
taking any of your friend's creative energy away, s/he's more likely to be
MORE energized for work, as a result of their "play".  But if s/he comes up
with that "killer app" we're all waitin' on, then xyz can benefit even more.
Your friend is probably not in as good a position as xyz, to turn the idea
into some money, anyway.

Of course, get it in writing, if you can!  Although it might not help you,
in the end.. NOT having it in writing is almost certain to hurt you, if it
gets to the money stage.

IF (big if) your friend produces something that may be worth some money,
then the negotiations with xyz could be tricky.  That biz...  Such a problem
to have... ;D

As Dean said, the best bet is to approach xyz with numbers on your side.
However, I'm not sure whether it would be better for your friend to approach
xyz with a "mob", or just approach xyz themselves, after lining up some
moral support... ?

JMHO.  (SNAL.. still not a lawyer...;-)

jt