Hi Bryan /Stefan,
Thanks for the Expect, I am aware of that and was hoping not to have to install it, but its looking like that might be the only saving grace at this point.
Yes it is and I can connect using the Filezilla App with only the user/password.
I believe the user/password fails on the MAC first and never gets to use the User/Password. Which brings me to the main question about this entire situation:
If IBM (or SSH) gives you the ability to use user and password, then HOW does the known hosts file get created first without needing the public/private key working?

That IBM USER/PASSWORD doc is what I have used previously and was hoping would work for this pickle, but looking at the last assumption in the doc tells me I need to be able to have a matching MAC to be able to use User/Password, as it is also used in the known host file. From what I can remember over the years, I have only ever done the User/Password scenario after already establishing a connection with the Public/private key.

- The SFTP server's public host key is stored in the known_hosts file in the batch SFTP user's .ssh directory.

message: 4
date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 13:52:24 +0200
from: <stefan@xxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: SFTP Client on AS400 V5R4 Help

Hi Frank,
1. Is the server configured to allow access using user/password?
If you run the sftp client command with the -vv or -vvv ( very verbose, or very very verbose keyword) I think you should be able to see if the server allows user/password.
2. You should also be able to see if the mac negotiation is done ahead of the access type negotiation. If so -I'll guess you are in trouble.

Best regards

Stefan