Here's the somewhat simplified mechanics of it to help you understand it better.

After the SSH client connects to the server (sftp sits on top of ssh) the following happens:

There's a welcome-banner and product-name/version exchange. Then the key exchange starts - the key here is the key for the session - nothing to do with authentication. The server puts together a preferred-ordered list of the algorithms it supports for encryption, hmac, hostkey and kex and sends this to the client. The client prepares a similar list and sends it to the server. The best matching algorithms are then chosen. The ssh configuration file can be used to order and set the server and client preferred algorithms.

Once all that is agreed, the server sends the client a signed copy of its ssh key. The client verifies the signature and does a known hosts lookup.

The server then sends the client a list of all supported authentication methods (public-key, password) and the client picks one or more and sends the appropriate info.

In your case the client proposes these mac algorithms:

hmac-md5, hmac-shal, umac-64@openssh. com, hmac-rip emd160,hmac-ripemd160@openssh. com, hmac-sha1-96, hmac-md5-96

The server supports these:

hmac-sha2-2 56,hmac-sha2-512, hmac-sha2-256-etm@openssh. com, hmac-sha2-512-etm@xxxxxxxxxxx