On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 8:19 PM aidan2474--- via MIDRANGE-L
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a followup if anyone would know if I install the expect tool, would work? Does it enable a completely different method of user/password, or is still based on the underlying already installed ssh on the ibm as400?

Still based on underlying IBM stuff. Though I wouldn't even phrase it
like that. Fundamentally, all expect does is allow you to specify
keystrokes in a file, so that they may be fed to some other program
which is designed to receive interactive keyboard input. Thereby
transforming a manual process (wait for username prompt, manually type
in username, wait for password prompt, manually type in password) into
an automation-ready batch process (launch an expect script and let it
do its thing). It's not so much "based on" underlying IBM stuff as it
is simply "directly invoking" said IBM stuff.

Basically I am asking which do you think would have a better shot of not burning my toast,... Expect or the iseriesPython install?

If the outdated encryption algorithms are the stumbling block, there
is nothing expect can do about that. But the crypto libraries that
come with iSeriesPython, while no longer up to date, might just be
"newer enough" to handshake with the oldest and least secure
encryption that the server supports. I wish I were knowledgeable
enough to tell you definitively that it will or won't work, so you
don't have to go through the effort of installing and learning another
technology, only for it not to work.

But there is a potential saving grace for installing and learning
iSeriesPython, even if it doesn't solve your immediate problem: Python
is an incredibly useful, productive, and fun programming language. It
effectively expands the capabilities of your V5R4 box, so it doesn't
feel quite as old as it is. Classic exploratory project for old-school
IBM midrange shops dipping their toes into Python: Send a report as a
genuine Excel (not CSV!) email attachment directly to the user's
mailbox.

If you go the iSeriesPython route, I will be happy to help as much as I can.

John Y.