James,

You could consider using python from any of your IBM i applications. Once
you get the GMAIL account code for server login, you could be functional
with all sorts of Gmail relaying, including attachments. I've been doing
this for years and yes, when the vendor changes the rules it breaks briefly
until you get their new rules in place. This is NOT a system wide
solution, but application specific. It works for us and those that live in
Gmail see "everything" the iSeries application sends in the outbox.

(not functional code, but key pieces - this is actually running on a
deprecated V7R1 environment)
#!/usr/bin/env python3
import sys,smtplib
from email.mime.multipart import MIMEMultipart
from email.mime.text import MIMEText
from email.message import EmailMessage
import sys,smtplib
server = smtplib.SMTP('smtp.gmail.com', 587)