If you truly want to set up SSL for telnet, you can but if you use a
self-signed certificate each person using telnet will need to import your
own self-signed CA.

Possible, but not always easy to explain to your users how it's done.
That's why if you get a certificate from a well known source (may cost a
few bucks a year), most clients already trust the CA(s) that the
certificate is signed by.