Hello John,

Am 07.06.2022 um 18:43 schrieb John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>:

I think people already proficient in Perl, and find that it suits their needs, do not have much reason to learn Python or any other language of similar capability (such as Ruby, for example).

Thanks for reinforcing one of my points.

I think the resemblance of Perl to C is highly subjective.

Considering your arguments: Apparently yes.

And note that you said Perl *can be* written to look C-ish. Part of Perl's philosophy is to not be restrictive about style, and so it would be just as easy (and turns out to be quite common in practice) to write Perl that is extremely un-C-like.

True. I've seen Perl code which I considered just unreadable.

And practitioners of very un-C-like languages (such as Scheme or Haskell) tend to see Perl and Python as "basically the same thing, with superficial differences" and both of them very related to C in terms of underlying philosophies and overall mental approach to programming.

Good point. :-)

OK, that all seems unsurprising. What are the results of the same poll about corporate usage of Perl?

That wasn't part of the questionnaire. So I can't answer your request.

Ask yourself this: If a shop is already using Python but not Perl,
what reason do they have to introduce Perl into the mix?

If they found a way to cope with the "manual" installed modules staying current, I'd say: None. And even if they don't, they'd be better off using precious time to establish a solid update strategy instead.

I think your arguments come from perceiving that I am somehow attacking Perl, or attacking you. Or that I am somehow saying people using Perl should *switch* to using Python. But none of those is the case.

You're probably right. I apologize for being such a coward.

:wq! PoC