Hello John,

Am 08.06.2022 um 00:32 schrieb John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>:

No, the entire reason for all of these "how do I add fonts to ACS"
threads is that ACS does NOT pick up the system fonts in Windows (it's
not clear to me if it does on Mac).

Interesting. On the Mac it certainly does. But the list of fonts I see is only a subset of the available fonts. From the list presented, I'd say, the list is filtered to only show monospaced fonts. This makes sense, because fonts where a i is less wide than a m would most likely create a mess on the emulated screen.

ACS seems to do things in an ancient, long-out-of-favor Java way. Most
newer Java applications work well and look good on Windows, in terms
of font availability and rendering.

Just for the record: I can't duplicate your Font rendering issue with iACS — on Mac. I've chosen Menlo 16 as font and let the Window resize itself when switching from *DS3 to *DS4, and backwards. See here: https://leela.pocnet.net/~poc/iacsscn.png I'm very pleased with the viewing quality.

Lately I've been using the IBM Softcopy Reader, which is essentially a Java Application in Disguise. No matter which font I use, the display never looks pleasant. Example here: https://leela.pocnet.net/~poc/ibmscr.png I can't really put my finger on it, but in part it might be related to missing antialiasing of glyph edges, and the glyph placement looks somewhat irregular. Maybe this is what happens for iACS on Windows, too?

:wq! PoC