Hello John,

thanks for clarification!

Am 02.06.2022 um 11:24 schrieb John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>:

I am not talking about pip, per se. I am talking about PyPI, which is analogous to CPAN.

Sorry, I've confused pip and PyPI.

[...] I prefer the matured Perl environment over the still relatively new Python [...]
Perl, the language, is not that much older than Python (1987 vs. 1991), especially when you consider that the younger one is 31 years old. If you mean PyPI is relatively new compared to CPAN, that's a bit more apt, but PyPI is still nearly 20 years old, which I don't think many people would consider "new". Or perhaps by "mature" you mean "having very little active development"?

Perl has been *the* choice for CGI programming in the internet's early heydays, at least in Europe. Nobody mentioned Python back then.

Also, I observe that Python gained considerable hyping in the last 5 years or so. Considering the long-before existence of Python, I wonder why that is.

On the other hand, from my own, and colleague's experiences, Perl has been Linux Sysadmin's Choice for automating things which become too cumbersome (or slow-running) in shell for a long time.

This is where my opinion about maturity stems from.

I guess Python must have some advantages over Perl, but I just can't see it. :-)

people are talking about passing parameters to a called program, and the called program returning data via assigning values to those parameters. It would be handy for Python programs to have output parameters in the same way that CL and RPG programs have output parameters.

Parameters — as I know — are command line switches I give to a program to modify its runtime behavior. By nature, these are some kind of "input". Given this picture, I simply don't understand what is meant by "output parameters". :-)

From your explanation above, I guess you're maybe talking about a shared memory space where the callee can put in results, to be worked with by the caller. Yes?

:wq! PoC