Le 15/02/2022 à 09:15, Laurence Chiu a écrit :
Thanks. I will check it out. We already have proxies in place for the HMC
to call home so it can't be hard to have it configured to support this. I
will ask our network folks if this is possible.

Normally, this is possible. You can use the same https proxies for HMC, IBM i partitions, VIOS, AIX, IBM Storage. Normally, ECS/ESA works the same way on all those platforms.

The documentation isn't clear on that point but if the service allows
http/https why does it have to be an IBMi partition? Could it not be any
client that uses https and can point to the target and/or proxy?

The support page I provided is explicitly for IBM i partitions. I am not sure that you can use the same setup (I mean https proxy) outside of any IBM tool. When using SNDPTFORD command, the PTFs package is built on FixCentral servers and the URI is dynamic and built at this time, and known only by the tool (I mean, I am not aware of any way to retrieve this URI so that you can use it outside of the tool). If you order the PTFs directly on FixCentral, as you noticed you will receive an URI to be used only through sftp or FTPS, unfortunately not https.

When it was possible to download from FixCentral using FTP, I was successfull to create the request on FixCentral, and use the FTP URI from an IBM i partition using wget OpenSource package through our proxy.
Now that it is possible to use only sftp or FTPS, I was also successfull to use the sftp URI, including the user id and password, from an IBM i partition using curl OpenSource package, still through our proxy.

I am still convinced that downloading directly from the IBM i partition, even through a proxy, is a good way to proceed:
* it avoids several manual operations (download from internet into an intermediate system, then uploading to an IBM i partition) involving maybe distinct teams (the team who is administering the intermediate system, the team who is administering the IBM i partition)
* if you download the PTF package as an image catalog (SNDPTFORD can order as save files and as image catalogs as well), it is ready for providing a netwok install source for all the IBM i partitions (at least, from a network point of view, for the local partitions)
* with a couple of CL instructions, the process to "order/download/make them available" regular PTFs packages such as CUMPKG and ALLGRP can be automated from your IBM i partition ; unfortunately, if your IBM i partition does not have direct https acces to IBM internet sites, you cannot use GROUP_PTF_CURRENCY view to become aware of a new available group (several years ago, I initiated an RFE so that this view uses the same setup as ECS/ESA in case of using a proxy so that the view can work in that case, but the RFE [https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=111550] is still in "Uncommited candidate").

On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 10:55 PM Marc Rauzier <marc.rauzier@xxxxxxxxx>