Le 17/02/2022 à 21:41, Brad Stone a écrit :
I still don't see how you can't simply have the same serial number (and
logical serial number) on more than one physical machine.
When you order the VSN feature for a server, IBM assigns a list of VSN to that server (to the physical serial number). This list is not shared with any other server. Then, they provide you with a COD (Capacity On Demand) code that you enter into your server. This COD enables the VSN feature and provides the server with the list of allowed VSN.
If it requires some sort of communication with IBM back to them to verify
(say once a day, or so) what happens if internet is down? Or if they find
a conflic?
No need. If not yet done, you might review the document https://public.dhe.ibm.com/systems/support/planning/transfer/Virtual_Serial_Number_with_IBM_i.pdf found by Jacob. I believe it explains the various processes.

Does their VSN change to something else? If so, that would make downtime
pretty serious as it would make most 3rd party apps to stop working because
of invalid licensing. Seems a lot worse scenario than a customer
contacting an ISV and saying "hey, we're moving to a new partition.. can we
get new keys?"
Not sure to understand what you mean. The VSN of a partition is not expected to change, just like a physical serial number. Unless you assign a new VSN (partition must be powered down to do so) on a new server after an LPM or SRR operation. And in that case, this is exactly the same situation that you describe in your last sentence.

Most ISVS, as do we, provide keys if needed to bridge these changes.

Too many what ifs from the ISV side of things.... Hopefully IBM will have
more info soon.
Sure they will. Well, I guess that the first user of this feature will be... PowerVS IBM Cloud 😉 so some more details might be available on their documentation.