On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 10:02 AM Jack Woehr via MIDRANGE-L
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 7:50 AM John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

But it seems to me that if this program has any likelihood of needing
modification or enhancement, it would be preferable to do it in
something that is officially supported

I suspect Golang is going to show up on the i in the repos, but asking on
Ryver is probably the best way to determine that.

Well, IBM finally declined a very long-standing RFE for that in late
March of this year. Kevin was quick to point out it means they won't
*commit* to delivering within the next 12 months. So it *could* still
happen at any time, including sooner than the 12 months. If I were a
betting man (which I'm not), I would bet against it showing up in
2021. But they did release GCC 10, which might make it easier to build
gccgo for PASE.

Still, the other choices (including ILE as well as PASE) strike me as
more compelling and more immediately supportable. And frankly, it's
not like Go is *so* much better than Python or Node.js that the
practical choice for someone who knows none of the three is to pick Go
and wait and hope.

Also,

and has a much bigger community
and ecosystem to draw on.

The Go community at large is huge, on fire, and well-funded. Go is a great
career bet right now.

The Python and Node.js communities at large are at least as huge,
arguably significantly bigger. But that's not very relevant. Any of
the three are Plenty Big Enough. And I did specifically say learning
Go was a good idea.

But in terms of community, what would matter more to Jay and most
midrangers is where those communities intersect with the midrange
community, and it is there that Python and Node.js are
small-but-healthy-and-growing while Go is basically not even born yet.

John Y.