On 5/25/21 5:34 AM, Patrik Schindler wrote:

Which features did this model have? It's not too easy to find information about models and sub-models of 5250 terminals today. Hmm.

The 3487-HC was (and presumably is, since I'm sure there are still specimens in working order) a 132-column color terminal (corresponding to the 3477-FC) with all the usual InfoWindow II features; column separators could be turned off; it could use a mouse (but only a genuine IBM mouse). The same iconic status line as all InfoWindow and InfoWindow II terminals (and some others, e.g., 3180). Up to two display sessions ("sides") and a printer session (a 3488 has four sides and a printer session, but requires a separate monitor). Double-pigtail-style auto-terminating Twinax connector.

Both of the terminals we had (the other being a 3180) when I was hired are long-gone (the 3180 failed in a rather spectacular fashion: something, probably the flyback transformer, shorted out, blowing a fuse. When I replaced the fuse and applied power, the fuse didn't just blow; it exploded.) We now have a 3477-FA (monochrome InfoWindow with amber screen; it was cheaper than green or color, and amber is actually the easiest on the eyes), a 3488 (as I said, InfoWindow II with 4 sides, requiring a separate monitor), and an Affirmative Twinax Yestation. (2 sides, requiring a separate monitor, but all the standard EBCDIC codepages were built in, unlike any IBM terminals). All of them were purchased used (and I don't think Affirmative was still making any Twinax models by the time we got our Yestation).

The only CRTs still in use here are the ones on the terminals: I have het to find an LCD monitor that plays well with the 3488 or the Yestation.

--
JHHL