Yeah, the i itself can have only 1 active connection - I think that's good-enough terminology.

You CAN do that if you have what is called a federated system. IBM® InfoSphere™ Federation Server provides this - it is not an IBM i product, though.

There is info at
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SS2K5T_10.5.0/com.ibm.swg.im.iis.db.fed.overview.doc/topics/cfpint01.html

Here's an opening statement on that page -

With a federated system, you can send distributed requests to multiple data sources within a single SQL statement. For example, you can join data that is located in a DB2 table, an Oracle table, andan XML tagged filein a single SQL statement.

Sounds like a SPENDMONEY kind of thing, but it's possible. I don't know if there's another IBM (or other vendor) product that provides this.

Regards
Vern