We have products that we develop and compile on our v7r3 server but compatible with v7r1. We transfer them to the v7r1 partition and restore them. Then we save them again but compatible with v5r4 and then send them to our v5r4 server, where we again restore them.
Mostly files. This allows us to develop on v7r3 server (a Power7 which, granted, is getting old in the tooth) and still get the source down to a v5r4 (which is REALLY old), upon which we can compile from scratch. Normally, we leave the v5r4 server powered off, and the v7r1 partition not activated, until we actually need them. We believe leaving the v5r4 server powered off until needed lets us extend the MTBF stats to be elongated. We also have redundant servers and HMC sitting in a closet in case we need complete replacement, or component parts for cannibalization.

Best Regards,

Thomas Garvey