To answer my own question with comments from our IBMi personnel. Just
wanted to gain an expert view of their response.

When the OS upgrade was done between 5.4? to 7.1 apparently the systems
support vendor issued this command

https://bit.ly/2YavyZD

The Power team doesn't know exactly what this did but had the following
queries based on reading the IBMi manual.

"IBM states some objects may not be included in the saving. This needs to
be coded and tested and maybe business to signoff the risk that some
objects may not be included." They then quoted this from the manual.

The Save Changed Object (SAVCHGOBJ) command saves a copy of each changed
object or group of objects located in the same library. When *ALL is
specified for the Objects (OBJ) parameter, objects can be saved from all
user libraries or from a list of libraries. When saving to a save file,
only one library can be specified. For database files, only the changed
members are saved.

Objects changed since the specified date and time are saved with the
following exceptions:

- If OBJJRN(*NO) is specified, objects currently being journaled are not
saved, unless journaling was started after the specified date and time.
This ensures that changes made to an object before journaling starts are
not lost (because they were not journaled in a journal receiver).
- Freed objects (programs, files, journal receivers, and so forth) are
not saved.
- User-defined messages, job and output queue definitions, and logical
file definitions are saved, but the contents of those objects are not
saved. Logical file access paths are saved if ACCPTH(*YES) is specified.
The contents of a data queue can be saved by specifying *DTAQ for the Queue
data (QDTA) parameter.

Basically what we want is the exact same items saved as would be with the
SAVOBJ command except that only the changes are saved and then restored.
That (to my un-expert view) is the command that currently is issued viz.
CMD(SAVOBJ OBJ(*ALL) would be changed to CMD(SAVCHGOBJ OBJ(*ALL)

So that still saves all objects but only the ones that were changes since
the last full save. Would not coding OBJ(*ALL) means the exceptions noted
above do not apply?

They want to test this so I guess that's valid. Just not sure how to do it
yet.