On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 1:36 PM Bradley Stone <bvstone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Are the connections being retried over and over to your mail router or
directly to the recipient's email server? It should be the former, not the
latter.

We're currently configured to deliver directly to recipient's email
domains, as opposed to setting up say a gmail account to relay through. But
I am aware that the relay option exists through what you're calling a "mail
router", and I acknowledge the expertise of providers like Google who offer
that type of service. If it comes down to us or IBM i not being able to
keep up with email configuration requirements, then I'd go through Google.

If you're not using a mail router of any type, when you try to deliver you
are going right to the recipients email server. The biggest issue most
will have, and reject your attempt, is because of no reverse DNS entry, or
not a trusted reverse DNS entry.

Okay, thanks.

Post some of the logs. IBM's logs for SMTP aren't the greatest, but there
are some clues in there I bet to those of us that are familiar with SMTP.

The only log entries I've been reviewing are the ones pertaining to the
WRKSMTPEMM command. I haven't looked at the IBM i SMTP client logs, which
are very verbose and tend to show the communication protocol.

WRKSMTPEMM logs show stuff like:

10/24/18 11:54:28 00B0 Connected to Server (67.195.229.58):25
10/24/18 11:59:36 00AF Connected to Server (66.218.85.52):25
10/24/18 12:04:45 00AD Connected to Server (98.137.159.25):25
10/24/18 12:09:52 00B0 Connected to Server (74.6.137.64):25

10/24/18 11:44:12 00AE Marking recipient@xxxxxxxxx as WRK
10/24/18 11:49:19 00B0 Marking recipient@xxxxxxxxxxx as DLV

10/24/18 12:15:02 00AE RCPT(2,0) retries:(1/3) next:Wed Oct 24 12:45:02 2018