Zend/Rogue Wave (spelled correctly for those of you who care) have an
agreement for support of the first year of Zend Server when you purchase
your system. IBM pays for that. Support for the Zend Server must be
purchased from Rogue Wave after that time. Like all agreements, that
agreement is occasionally updated/renewed/replaced. Failing one of those
three, the agreement lapses. If my understanding is correct this is the
first renegotiation between Zend/Rogue Wave and IBM since Rogue Wave
purchased Zend. We don't know the outcome of those negotiations yet.

Unless or until that agreement is ended I don't see IBM offering up an
alternative PHP server in open source, since they are paying for the Zend
Server. Until that becomes clearer, if there is to be an alternative PHP
server on POWER specifically for IBM i, then someone else will have to get
it compiled for the POWER processor in 64bit. IBM won't do it to compete
with themselves.

We shall see. In the end the best PHP server for IBM i is and will continue
to be the Zend Server for the foreseeable future.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects