On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 6:06 PM, Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Answer: Two-tier or three-tier is a better architecture for secure,
robust
apps drawing data from IBM i.

Not really. The more tiers the more failure points. How can it be
otherwise?

More failure points, but they don't happen on the IBM i.

Microservices are rapid to code and fit in with development sprints.

That I agree with. But you don't need to inject a separate Linux
infrastructure to do them.

[ IBM I microservices ] >------< [Linux/Apache/PHP/JS] >-----< {upstream
process or live user}

It's just healthier. Keep the expensive env as simple as possible. Put the
web server in the hands of 20-somethings who live in Linuxland.

If you ignore the fact that Linux imposes additional management, support,
and maintenance requirements.

Different burdens. With 100 times the number of job candidates who
understand that environment. They're all Linux VMs now, you spin em up,
migrate em, it works nice.

That's the mainstream for web serving now. Why swim upstream

You're also inevitably going to have to deal with load balancing and a
bunch of other other stuff that most IBM i shops don't have to worry about).

Linux is designed for that environment. It's how the entire Internet runs,
pretty much.

Well that comes back to the point I said I'd return to. If what I have in
the shop is IBM i then I don't have the "Understandable" issue. I do
however have a HUGE "Understandable" issue with Linux.

Hire some youngsters :)

You're a bit-head Jack - you like the construction kit approach that Linux
offers you. But it is not what my clients bought into IBM i for.

I think the construction kit approach has proved itself on the Internet. I
think it's a crappy model for enterprise databasing, which is where the IBM
i is superior.

If there is already Linux in the shop, fine, but I just don't see
introducing it for the sake of it. Plus of course I can always run it in a
partition on the IBM i - don't need a separate box <grin>

I love doing that, too. But it's expensive compared to a Linux VM or a
Docker or some such container instance on POTS hardware.

However, the Linux LPAR / Docker thing has been leveraged very nicely on z
Series/

Perhaps I should note parenthetically that these are my
programmer/admin/enthusiast opinions, and not the company position of
Absolute Performance.