The trick is to define 7.1 to mean the bare minimum.
What I am saying is that IBM has already dropped support for much of the
IBM i 7.1 products. For example:
- Numerous java options
- AFP
- WAS
and the list goes on.
And then say you don't need a lot of stuff like valid SSL ciphers. For
example, some business using unsecured 5250 only with no TCP/IP leaving
the building.
So basically, if you need support for 5770999 and 5770SS1 (most options)
it will probably be in the Extended Support.

As far as things just up and dying...
First look at the above. People are getting SLAMMED on the SSL ciphers.
But failing that, you're probably right, is it just going to go casters
up?
Well, if the government changes DST dates again, will IBM issue a 7.1 PTF
for that?
Some weird sliding scale date conversion issue?
Just trying to think of something which could cause an unexpected issue on
a stagnant machine...

Let's say you do call and you do not have the latest cume on. And IBM has
written that they are free to insist upon it to work on your problem. What
happens if that hurts the "if it ain't broke don't fix it crowd"?