Since the original post and replies that follow are rants against vendors
from people who opine from the perspective of being inside a company IT
department, have you ever considered the perspective from the other side of
the fence - from being a vendor yourself or working for one? Would your
opinion shift if you were to move from a position within an IT department
to one in a vendor shop?

The question of open and available pricing may be clear for
consumer-oriented shrink-wrapped products of limited scope, but less clear
for products and services that require negotiation.

Should all full-time employment candidates publish their compensation
requirements on resumes? Or, should they seek an opportunity to explain
what they may bring to the table first, before disclosing their "price".

Should vendors disclose their prices to people who may simply be doing
research for the purpose of displacing a vendor, by offering a competing
solution? Or, should vendors qualify whether a person is a valid prospect
(or a competitor) before disclosing their price?