> IBM i Group for 1 core - 1 year with 24 x 7 support
> 5771-PVS - IBM i Group actual charge? This is the base system
> (compilers, Crypto, etc)?

Normal SWMA (Software Maintenance) for IBM i itself. Entitles you to do upgrades, get PTFs, and open problems with IBM support. It covers the majority of the features of IBM i as well once you license them. You are correct on Compilers and it also includes ST1, PT1, XW1, BR1, JS1, JV1, TC1, and misc other features you may have.

> PowerVM for 4 cores - 1 year with 24 x 7 support
> 5733-SPP - Power VM?

SWMA for PowerVM. This is required for the server as this is the virtualization layer in the hardware. Much cheaper than IBM i SWMA by the way.

> DB2 Web Query Express for 1 core - 1 year with 9 x 5 support
> 5661-WQE - Web Query I assume?

A few products such as Web Query have their own SWMA charge. And this is the charge for Web Query. You can cancel this one if you don't want to use this product.

> These were on the quote:
> 5771-ALS - IBM i Group After license Charge?

OOps. You let your service laps. Lots of people like to complain about this but here's the deal. IBM continues enhancing and developing IBM i and fixing things as well, continuously. To do so requires money. Thus IBM has effectively three choices:

1) Charge an ALS when you leave a gap between your last SWMA and this SWMA. This way you pay 'your share' of the money needed to enhance and support the O/S. Just because you didn't open a PMR or pull down a PTF or do an upgrade during that time doesn't mean that IBM didn't create a new release or a new fix. You just delayed using it. Once you re-up you can pull PTFs or a release upgrade and there you've made use of what was created during your gap.

2) Simply charge more for SWMA. Do the math on how many people leave gaps in support and how long those gaps are and then raise the charge to cover those gaps. This penalizes those who keep support current and rewards those who leaves gaps in support. IMHO: Not an option.

3) Block you from getting any PTFs or software upgrades created during the time you were not paying them. Severe issue with TCP and your support was lapsed during create of that fix? Bummer! Of course this isn't a real option and would be a compliance nightmare but you get the picture.

So #1 it is, make with the money honey! :-)

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com