Yea, that technique will almost never achieve a recovery time objective (RTO). I've had customers want to try it so we set up the ASP (separate disk units just for save) and get it going. All but one have dropped it as too hard to manage and too slow. One tried a recovery to test it (at my insistence) and dropped the idea straight away.

Now for project level saves, special saves, saves that are not critical, Oh yea I love virtual tape, but for DR purposes, give me an external device tape or VTL (I use SPHiNX) but it's off the system and it can do a bare metal recovery.

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rob Berendt
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2016 7:56 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Cranky LTO tape drive

And, although I've already said this, I'd like to add on to Jim's comments that restoring from a virtual tape image catalog when you're doing a full system restore is nigh on to impossible. First you have to get enough of your system working (from IBM distribution media) to communicate back to your ftp server, retrieve the image catalog entries, and initiate the restore.

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755