"The rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated." - Tape

The infrastructure that's out there for tape in the IBM i space is so vast and massive that it will be quite some time before it goes away. Our backup tools nearly all use tape. Sure some are fitting their backups onto RDX or using virtual media but tape is still king.

Sure that tape may very well be a SPHiNX or EMC or other VTL but it looks and works like tape to IBM i. It can be booted for a reload. It can be read for a restore. It can be archived or moved off-site for protection. But it is THE interface of choice for backup on IBM i.

Looking to the future though there is a brand new feature that allows IBM i to back up to IBM's cloud directly. More clouds will be coming soon. OF course it requires bandwidth and it still requires you have a system level backup if you ever need a full recovery.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com