Thanks Chuck for a detailed solution. I am sure I can use this.

I have a follow-up question:

The file is a DDS defined multi-member file. It has a logical over it by K1
(not the actual field name by the way), but no index with RRN.

During processing I could build a Table and index on the fly in QTEMP and
copy data to it before running my sql.

Given that the file may have anywhere between a handful to a couple of
million records, and hundreds of such files are being processed in a day
(by different jobs, one file per job), would it make sense (performance
wise) to go the table/index route or process the data directly from the
input file?

Thanks
Vinay