Thanks Chuck. That gave me the information I needed to get things setup in Thunderbird.

Dean Eshleman,
Everence Financial

On 2015-04-14 3:44 PM, CRPence wrote:> On 14-Apr-2015 12:31 -0500, Dean Eshleman wrote:
Has anyone else switched their newsgroup access to gmane.org yet?

This is my first attempt to reply using my new setup via gmane.

IIRC I had originally, years ago, used news.gmane.org for my NNTP
access to the email lists; if I did, I have no recollection why I did
that instead of directly accessing news.migrange.com. I do know that at
some point I had *both* news.midrange.com and news.gmane.org established
as accounts in my Thunderbird News\Email client; I followed whichever
was available after the other had burped\stumbled, and mostly I would
just perform a mark-newsgroup-as-read for the same group on the other
news server.

The last time I checked, the new COBOL group still was not listed in
the subscription-list nor is a page found; i.e. neither of
<nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.ibmi.cobol> or
<http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.ibmi.cobol> are functional yet;
possibly awaiting completion of the import of the existing archive
<http://gmane.org/import.php>.

Is the server name just "gmane.org" or is it something else?

news.gmane.org on port 119 is what I use <news://news.gmane.org:119>
and the "From:" email address in the News client matches the email
address used to subscribe to the list(s) on <http://lists.midrange.com>

TIA

Hopefully that was helpful. Perhaps additionally of value\interest,
FWiW, some snippets from <http://gmane.org/> related [in]directly to
NNTP access:

<http://gmane.org/post.php>
_Posting Messages_
"Gmane works as a bi-directional gateway for many of the lists it
carries. To post to a list, you can use the news interface or the web
interface.
People who do not have valid email addresses in their From or Reply-To
headers can't use Gmane to post to mailing lists.

*Please do not post test messages to any real groups*. The test messages
will, in all likelihood, be propagated to the mailing list, and you'll
look like a right berk. If you want to test, use the gmane.test group,
which works just the same way as all the real mailing lists.

Also see the _FAQ_ <http://gmane.org/faq.php> for more information about
problems when posting.
..."

<http://gmane.org/faq.php>
_Frequently asked questions_
"...
_Posting_

* What happens after I post to a Gmane newsgroup?
The Gmane auto-authorizer sends you an email.

* I didn't get any email.
Then the address you used in your From or Reply-To headers was
invalid. Use a valid email address. And you can't use a
"public.gmane.org" address when posting.

* But I did use a valid email address.
Perhaps you did in your From, but your Reply-To address pointed to
the mailing list. Don't do that.
,,,

_Gmane and the world_

* Can I read news via secure NNTP (nntps)?
Yes. Point your news reader towards nntps://news.gmane.org/.

* How do I link to a group on Gmane?
There are two addresses you can give.

nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.group.name: This is the newsgroup.

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.group.name: This is the web interface.

Use either or both.
..."

Dean Eshleman
Software Development Architect

Everence Financial
1110 North Main Street
PO Box 483
Goshen, IN 46527
Phone: (574) 533-9515 x3528
www.everence.com<http://www.everence.com/>

Confidentiality Notice: This information is intended only for the individual or entity named. If you are not the intended recipient, do not use or disclose this information. If you received this e-mail in error, please delete or otherwise destroy it and contact us at (800) 348-7468 so we can take steps to avoid such transmission errors in the future. Thank you.