This is something I haven't done before and I want to make sure I know what I'm doing ...

I have an Independent ASP with a mixture of HHD and SSD all RAID5 protected.

I want to move some of the HHD disk in this iASP to the system ASP (*SYSBAS).

The intent is to remove all the disk in the iASP that are in RAID sets containing disk in *SYSBAS.

In other words, I don't want RAID sets to span multiple ASP's. (It is a long story why they are configured that way today and I won't go into it now.)

I don't want to have to end and restart RAID either, I just want to move disk between these ASP's.

I have already used the STRASPBAL command with the *ENDALC and *MOVDTA options to remove all the data from the disk I want to move.

I'm a little "fuzzy" on what I have to do next.

In reading some documentation on the subject I believe I can't MOVE a disk from an iASP to a User ASP. So, it looks like I'll have to remove them from the iASP first, then add them to *SYSBAS.

It also looks like the iASP needs to be varied off before I can remove any disks from it.

My main questions:

1. Can I remove disk from the iASP without having to be booted to DST? The iASP just has to be varied off, right?

2. Can I add these "removed" disk to *SYSBASE without having to be in DST.

3. Will the removal of disk from the iASP run quickly since the data has already been removed from them?

Kenneth
Kenneth E. Graap
NW Natural
System Administrator for IBM Power Systems
503.226.4211 x5537
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kennethgraap