Chuck

Your points about CCSID and SAVFs are probably true in fact, but they don't seem to apply to SAVFs and CPY.

So the solution is to use a CCSID in the TOCCSID value when there is NOT an object already in place for the CPY to use to determine the *OBJ CCSID

I used 37 because I'm in the US - other places should probably use their default CCSID - NOT QCCSID if it is 65535 - and 65533 is the maximum number to use, BTW.

*JOBCCSID is an option - maybe that would work instead of hard-specifying the number as I suggest.

Things do seem to behave a bit oddly - I mean, the help for the TOCCSID says the parameter is ignored if the object not a regular file - "A regular file is a file that supports the integrated file system input/output (I/O) operations open, read, and write."

I guess I don't want IBM working on this possible "defect" - there are much more important things we need done. I bet you're used to that discussion in your role when at IBM!! I hear it all the time in CAAC meetings.

Cheers
Vern