On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 15:31, Aaron Bartell <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Question:
In the "Hardware & Console" step 4, what should I specify for the "Service
host name" field when configuring the ops console? ÂI configured my ASMI HMC
1 ethernet port to be 192.168.0.12 which I am guessing is NOT the IP address
I should be using. ÂI configured my laptop to have a static IP of
192.168.0.20.

Yes. Your IBM i will have a multitude of ip adresses:

1 for the ASMI/HMC port, which requires a dedicated ethernet
connection. This isn't really needed to get the system up and running,
but it's good to have.

1 for the "SST" - basically, it's the IP adress the LIC uses to
communicate with the Operations Console and certain SST Tools in
System i Navigator. On Power 520 systems, this may share a physical
port with IBM i OS

1 for the IBM i OS - this is the one you're going to connect to using
5250, Web, etc.

You should know that when I was following the ASMI directions earlier it
said to go into Network Configuration. ÂI configured eth0 for ipv4 and gave
it the following other settings:
host name=white
IP address=192.168.0.12
Subnet mask=255.255.255.0
Default gateway=192.168.0.1
Domain name: mowyourlawn.com
and then added two IP addresses for two known working DNS servers.

Okay. This wasn't wrong, but it didn't influence anything about the the OpsCon.

What you need is add a new hostname (for example, sst-mymachine) to
C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts with an IP address that's
currently unused (e.G. 192.168.0.15). This IP address will be assigned
to the LIC/SST using BOOTP.