Åke Olsson wrote:
At 4:50 this morning subsystems QINTER ended abruptly on our
production box.

We have checked:
* History log

How and what was checked of history?
Review of messages containing 'QINTER', in output from DSPLOG OUTPUT(*PRTSECLVL) for the PERIOD since the QINTER subsystem started?
DSPLOG QHST JOB(######/QSYS/QINTER) for the PERIOD since the QINTER subsystem started, for the ###### job that was recorded as CPF1804 /subsystem QINTER starting/ ?
DSPLOG QHST JOB(######/QSYS/QSYSARB#) for each QSYSARB# job started for that IPL ?
DSPLOG QHST ((*avail *begin)) JOB(*n/QSYS/QINTER *n/QSYS/QSYSARB4)

* Job logs

How were job logs checked?
WRKSPLF (QSYS *N *N QINTER) ?
WRKJOB ######/QSYS/QINTER for the job number from the history logging the start of the subsystem ? Even if no joblog, perhaps a dump or dspjob spool?
Review of the joblogs for QSYSARB#; e.g.: WRKACTJOB JOB(*SYS)

* And what little information could be derived from the audit journal

We can still not find any reason as to why this happened and need to
make sure that this does not happen frequently. (If we could find a
culprit be that a human or a program bug we would obviously also be
quite happy).

DSPMSG QSYSMSG may show /critical/ messages; if the msgq exists
WRKPRB
STRSST,1,5,1, to review for vlogs
STRSST,1,4,2,4,2,1,QINTER, to try to find the job ###### of the QINTER job that ended [not the active job]

Is there any setting that could log events such as subsystem
starting/ending in the audit journal?

Command object auditing for ENDSBS, but an ENDSBS should have been logged in the history; usually by the job QSYSARB4 with messages CPF0995 and CPF0927

If the job really disappeared without signs, then it would be appropriate to contact your service provider, even without having found a cause. There should be some information about [abnormal] termination of a subsystem, unless some overzealous cleanup actions purged the joblog and other messages\details. Even an ENDSBS ENDSBSOPT(*NOJOBLOG) should log a

Regards, Chuck